1/21/2011

Sea Glass mobile "How To"

Besides making soap, and before making soap I have been making lots of things over the years. Most things I make for others or my family, or to sell. I have been collecting sea glass for many years on the coast here in Maine. I lov eeverything about the little tumbled unique pieces of glass.
When I was a very young girl, I remember playing near broken glass and they sparkled in the sun. I thought they were jewels! My neighbor friend and I collected them in our jewelry boxes...I sort of remember when I was told they were just pieces of broken glass and that I should never pick up glass becuase it could cut me and my young siblings could choke! Well I still like collecting glass...I have old bottles my husband has found on job sites that the ground had been dug up and I have sea glass and broken pottery just waiting to be used for something! When my husband and I tiled our bathroom I wanted to make a deco out of sea glass adn broken plates and little mirrors and such...



So back to the sea glass and the title of this post...sea glass mobile. I have decided to make this one for myself! It doesn't happen very often! Here's what I am using:
15lb moss green fishing wire
Instant Crazy Glue "home and office pen"
sea glass (if you wanted you could use tumbled glass form a craft store, sometimes the dollar stores have these as well)
an iteresting stick (mine is a slick I found heading to the wood stove until I spotted the detials of "roads" that some bugs ad made and it looks like little trails form busy workers)

You can go all small or big or mix and match them in a strand, I started out small and added larger pieces of glass. This takes a long time not a one day project (unless you don't have children etc and MAYBE this could be done in a day.) You tie a double knot around a piece of glass and make sure it's not loose and dab some glue on one side of the glass, let it dry and glue the other side. I have made only three completed strands so far. My shortest strand is about 5 inches long and will taper to the longest being abuot 10 inches. Here are some pictures and hopefully in the near future I will be posting th ecompleted project!




11 comments:

  1. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm 61 years old. I contracted hpv in 2011' I has be taking lot treatment for it and embarrassed some months ago the wart stated coming out seriously, I used lot recommendation because there was lot warts around my anus and was so . but today I'm totally happy I got the virus eliminated by using natural treatment from Dr voodoo herbal center after his treatment I got cured. all the warts went away' seriously believed Dr. voodoo he have the cure for human papillomavirus because he has eliminated hpv been in my body since 2011, Dr. voodoo make it possible for me. Here is Dr. voodoo email: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com or WhatsApp him via +2348140120719 he is welled capable of curing terrible diseases.

      Delete
  2. hey! saw your thread on etsy so I thought I'd come have a look and follow your blog. Have a look at mine if you like. I'm also on the quest for more followers! :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you've tiled your bathroom!

    PS...me mums was born and raised in Augusta, ME

    ~Dana

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE your bathroom! I may steal this idea since my upstairs has a "beachy" feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. do you have someplace where you shared HOW you did the sea glass tile in your bathroom. Love it! and am inspired to try it in my bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the sea glass border in your bath. Beautiful.

    Fun mobile too. Thanks for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you glueing the string to the glass on both sides? Does it leave a funny residue? What type of string and glue do you use? Is there a trick to the knot tying to hold the glass securely? Saw this and thought of good xmas gifts if I could accomplish the task at hand!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you glueing the string to the glass on both sides? Does it leave a funny residue? What type of string and glue do you use? Is there a trick to the knot tying to hold the glass securely? Saw this and thought of good xmas gifts if I could accomplish the task at hand!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you are still writing this blog...(hope so!) could you add how you created the beach glass border for your shower? Did you glue it on the wall or mesh first, and how has it held up?
    Thank you, love your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello , I want to say a special thanks to Dr Okedi for helping me get cured from herpes virus, I contacted him base on the testimonies I’m seeing about him on the internet, I was cured too by his herbal medicine, kindly contact him today through his email Drokedisolutioncentre@gmail.com or whatsapp number +2349059610361 He’s waiting to help you.

    ReplyDelete